Monday, January 23, 2012

Immigration Office


Today we made my way to a new part of town to attempt register with the immigration office in Cork.  We went after class which happen to fall over the lunch hour.  The lunch hour seems like a good and logical time to run errands at home...well, not in Ireland.  Every office in the town shuts down for at least an hour over lunch.  It appears that government offices get a cushy two hours. We arrived just after their windows closed for lunch.  So our logical solution to this problem...


This is the Market Tavern.  This pub was really cozy and the bartender was really friendly so we will definitely be going back.  Does anyone notice the green Iowa license plate in the upper left? It was calling my name!

After the lunch hour we made it back to the immigration office.  This office had a very similar feeling to a DMV.  After standing in a long line for an hour we were told that we didn't have a necessary form filled out and that it doesn't need to be done until April.  However if I wait I may be able to avoid the 150 Euro immigration processing fee. We spend four hours waiting around for nothing.  This picture was clearly taken before I went through this whole DMV-like process given my attitude.  Garda means guard or police in Irish.  As you can see the sun was shining all afternoon.  It was so nice!  I don't think my face has seen sunshine in weeks.


Update: Meghan and I are finally leaving Ireland!  We booked our flight tonight for our first trip from February 9th through the 13th.  I'll update you all tomorrow on where!

No comments:

Post a Comment