Monday, January 16, 2012

Dia dhuit!

As you can see I attended my first Intro to Irish class this morning!  The phrase above says hello and it directly translates to "God to you".  If you were to say hello back to me you would say "dia's muire dhuit" and that directly translates to "God and Mary to you".  I'm glad none of you are able to ask me how to pronounce these phrases because I couldn't do it...yet.  If I were to tell you where I live in Irish it would be Corcaigh, Eire.  This say Cork, Ireland.  The word Cork directly translates to marsh or swamp.

Small world story: This afternoon I ran into my roommate Laura and she was wearing an Iowa State softball wind breaker.  I looked at her funny, started laughing, and asked her where she got that apparel from.  She told me she got it from her cousin and asked me if I had ever heard of that school.  I had told her that I went to Iowa State University when I met her but she never put two and two together with the sweatshirt that she owned.  Long story short--her cousin is the director of operations for the Iowa State athletics department. This blows my mind!!

Yesterday when I went to the grocery store I stumbled across a jar of peanut butter!! I got so excited because everyone told me that they wouldn't have peanut butter here.  It's even "american style" says the label.  It was kind of expensive (4 Euro=$5 USD) but I decided that it was worth it.  I came home from the store and made some peanut butter toast because I was so excited!


I'm watching the Golden Globes tonight with my roommates.  American TV programs play here in Ireland but they are usually a few nights delayed if it's a single program.  TV series play about a season delayed.  The Irish movie theaters (or cinemas as they call them) play a combination of American and films from England.  However, they do not come out at the same time as they do in America.  They usually premiere about month later.

Slan go Foill! (Goodbye for a while)

No comments:

Post a Comment